The well established Dance Academy at Our Lady and St Chad is delivered to our current year 12 and 13 students. During this time a Level 3 BTEC Qualification in Performing Arts (Dance) is studied. Students study through theory and practical contexts and are assessed on two core units and four specialist units over two years achieving an A Level Qualification at the end of the course.
The Units Studied Are
- Dance Performance
- Performing to an Audience
- Jazz Dance
- Urban Dance
- Choreographing Dance
- Developing Contemporary Dance Technique
Lessons and training consist of a warm up developing fitness and flexibility, technique classes and then the development of performance pieces and choreography. After school training and opportunities to be a part of the Elite Dance Squad are available and sixth form students are asked regularly to perform and have the opportunities to work with professional artists and watch professional dance works.
How to Apply
You will need at least 5 GCSE grades, C or above including English. This course can also be accessed with a BTEC Level 2 First certificate in Performing Arts. You will be required to have an interview/audition and have had a reasonable dance background, with some form of training. You may need to undertake extra classes to build your knowledge and understanding of dance.
Contact email@example.com for more information or to register your interest on the course.
Successes 2014 – 15
- Annual school dance show ‘Fusion’
- Successful in audition for Youth Sport Trust to close the school games in Manchester in September 2015
- Regional Winners of the national competition ‘The Great Big Dance Off’
- 3rd place in the National Finals of the competition ‘The Great Big Dance Off’
- Continued performances in the City and working with other schools across the West Midlands
- Continued work with professional dancer and choreographer Nathan Marsh
- Exciting new project to start September 2015 with Zoo Nation.